Poker rules and history: poker origins, game setting and variations
Poker rules, popular variations and game history
Rules of poker vary depending on the game type you choose. Still, there are a couple of principles that work for all the variations available. This guide is aimed to explain the basic poker rules and deliver a few interesting facts about game history, poker cards and online poker era.
The history of poker rules and game predecessors
It’s not clear for know where poker originates from, but the fact is that it is a direct heir of such games as:
- Poque. It originates from Europe. This French game was played with 20-card deck. Bluffing was an important and even essential part of poque.
- Brag. This British game used 32-card deck and 3-card hand. Players used ante bets. Three of a Kind was the highest possible combination.
- As-Nas. This Persian game was played with 20 or 25-card deck. Each player received 5 cards. As-Nas has the same combinations as you’ll find in modern poker rules, except Flushes and Straight. Also, “blind” bets were used.
Poker as we know it now evolved at the beginning of XIX century in the USA. It began to spread from Louisiana and New Orleans as a part of riverboat gambling on the Mississippi river. From this time the game gets its 52-card deck and all the modern hand types. It spreads further throughout all the states during the next few decades and the time of Civil War.
The game first came to Europe in 1870s, where it was introduced to Queen Victoria’s court. Still, it became popular only after World War I. During the XX century lots of poker variations appeared. The game become globally popular in 1970s due to World Series Of Poker. The next crucial moment in it’s history was the first online gambling poker real-money website in 1998. From this time the game becomes more and more popular online, attracting millions of gamblers.
Basic poker rules and poker hands
Every variation has it’s own specific rules, but there are also things that are the same for all game types:
- You play against other gamblers or dealer.
- The round winner is determined by the highest card combination.
- There are player’s individual cards and community cards.
- Hand ranking is the same with possible minor changes in different variations.
- The combination usually consists of 5 cards.
In most games the first thing you do is a wager without cards being dealt. Then go several card drawing and betting rounds and all the players left reveal their card hands in the end. The best possible combination is Royal Flush. The lowest is a Pair or High Card when all the players don’t have combinations. There are also such hands as Two Pair, Three of a Kind, Straight, Flush, Full House, Four of a Kind and Straight Flush. The game winner gets the whole money pot.
The most popular poker types are:
- Texas Hold’em;
- 7-Card Stud;
- 5-Card Draw;
When you’re OK with general poker rules, you can learn the specifics of each type by playing free poker games in web casinos. Just make sure you’ve chosen a trustworthy website for online gambling.